Tuesday, August 18, 2009

But I thought you were kinda a feminist???

So as a programmer, a natural childbirth educator, a doula and photographer ~ i've had the opportunity to be called many a things. Some less appropriate for the blog-o-sphere than others ~ but there is always one word that keeps creeping up.

Feminist.

Most recently I was called a feminist during an art show where I combined my two loves (natural childbirth & photography) It honestly took me aback for a moment. Somehow because I encourage folks to research the birth of their child at least as much as they would their next car purchase ~ I was called a feminist.

Well lets take a look at the word.

fem⋅i⋅nism
  /ˈfɛməˌnɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fem-uh-niz-uhm] Show IPA
Use feminist in a Sentence
–noun
1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

Well duh then...who isn't?

I at LEAST want to be equal to men and in some area's I think its ok to shout from the rooftops how much better we are. When was the last time your husband gave birth or breastfed your child?

Those boobs are for more than selling cars ladies and frankly - i see nothing wrong with loving them for both purposes. I urge you to take pride in your body for what it is genetically capable of doing physically... AND what is is capable of doing to our partners.

But never forget. What it does for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment